About Steve and The Lake House Studio

Steve Duncan is an award-winning Artist. His Lake House Studio specializes in vintage-style design and illustration. Currently Steve is an illustrator developing stationary lines for Carta Bella Paper Company. Along with his work at Carta Bella he accepts freelance projects. His past client list includes Disney Consumer Products, Universal Studios Parks, Williams-Sonoma, Scholastic Books, Inc., Gerber Chidrenswear, October Afternoon, Basic Grey, ModifyInk, and many more. He has served as Art Director at FingerPrints of California and Rebel Entertainment Arts and Licensing, and Creative Director at Suzy's Zoo and Agenda 9.

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Hawaii Dreaming


Illustration ©2015 Steven Duncan, Lake House Studio

Today I'm feeling like I need a little tropical inspiration. February in Minnesota is the beginning of the "I gotta get out of here to defrost" mindset. Luckily, this winter hasn't been all that bad (or maybe I've finally acclimated?)...

I studied art at the University of Hawaii, Manoa, which is just mauka (Hawaiian for "toward the mountains") from Waikiki Beach. I worked at the Royal Hawaiian during my studies and was surrounded by some of the most beautiful and historic Vintage Hawaiiana in public display.

This is a poster that I illustrated and designed a few years ago celebrating all the fun of vintage Waikiki. Whenever I get cold or need a mind vacation I pull out artwork from "Aloha State", a line of Hawaiian stationery products, and I imagine being back home walking down Kalakaua Ave heading for Waikiki Beach.

"A Hui Ho, Waikiki" (Hawaiian for "Until next time, Waikiki").

No comments:

Post a Comment