About Steve and The Lake House Studio

Steve Duncan is an award-winning Artist. His Lake House Studio specializes in vintage-style design and illustration. Currently Steve is an illustrator developing stationary lines for Carta Bella Paper Company. Along with his work at Carta Bella he accepts freelance projects. His past client list includes Disney Consumer Products, Universal Studios Parks, Williams-Sonoma, Scholastic Books, Inc., Gerber Chidrenswear, October Afternoon, Basic Grey, ModifyInk, and many more. He has served as Art Director at FingerPrints of California and Rebel Entertainment Arts and Licensing, and Creative Director at Suzy's Zoo and Agenda 9.

Friday, October 27, 2017



Cowboy Country


My current line for Carta Bella is one of my favorite lines that I've produced. It's called Cowboy Country and focus on vintage cowboy and Native American ephemera.

My grandad was a real cowboy. He was born in Oklahoma in 1900 and herded cattle from our family's farm outside of Normal, Oklahoma out west to Corona, California. When I was a kid I'd sit with him and he'd tell me stories of growing up in Oklahoma and working on a cattle farm. He was my hero and his stories still resonate with me. My grandad taught me about the love of the land, the love and respect of Native American culture and art, and being kind and courteous. He always wore a cowboy hat and a western shirt with bolo tie up until he passed away. I will always remember him that way.

My mom was born in 1920 in Hollywood, California. From 1925-1930 my grandfather owned an asphalt and oil company that was contracted to pave the roads throughout Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico. During the summer my grandmother and my mom would take the train out to where my grandfather was based and they'd stay with him until the school year was to begin.

As a little girl my mom loved to go visit and sit with the Native American people as they did their daily work. She would watch the women weave beautiful rugs and the men silversmith turquoise jewelry. They would talk to her of their legends and shared stories and ceremonies. When she left the reservations, many times, she would receive a beaded headband or a turquoise bracelet as a gift from the friends that she made. Before my mom died she took all of her Native American jewelry, pottery and photographs and donated them to the museum at the Pecos National Historic Park.

As a child I'd go visit the places where my mom lived during those summers. She had such love for Native American people and the culture. Her face would light up and she'd become very animated when we'd visit the hogans and places that she loved as a child.

I hope that I caught that magic in my new line. It's filled with memories passed down from my mom and grandfather, and a few of my own.

I hope you enjoy!


Buffalos- My boss is an avid collector of Cowboy Artwork and loves Buffalos, so this one's of him!


Cowboys and Native Americans-This was based on the wallpaper that was in my bedroom while I was growing up in Los Angeles.










































No comments:

Post a Comment